Senior Manager: Business Development (Renewables)
Our client, an International IPP based in Johannesburg is looking for a Senior Manager: Business Development to perform business development activities in the Southern Africa region including evaluating and developing new opportunities, liaising with the local authorities in respect of business development activities, identifying and sourcing potential partners for the project, developing suitable and compliant bids and bringing projects to start of construction with inputs from and coordination with various functions, in order to contribute to the Company’s growth
Relationship Building and Market Intelligence
- Support the line manager in conducting continuous relationship building and maintenance, market research and analysis in the Southern African region, so as to be always up to date on:
- the various actors and stakeholders in the power, green H2 and seawater desalination sectors including but not limited to authorities, off-takers (such as utilities and large corporates), potential partners, (local) contractors, consultants and other service providers, competitors.
- development and investment opportunities;
- the responsible and other relevant persons within national, regional and local authorities and other stakeholders;
- the activities of the company’s competitors
Project Identification and Preliminary Feasibility
- Identify projects in the power, green H2 and seawater desalination projects
- Perform a preliminary review of such development and investment opportunities supported by the other company experts and provide findings to the line manager.
Bid / Proposal Preparation
In respect of the allocated projects:
- Prepare the bids and proposal (whether based on competitive tenders or direct negotiations) together with the various company functions/ teams/experts, including with respect to technical configuration, construction contracting, equipment supply, O&M, local content, international and local partners, environmental and social assessment, power / water purchase agreement, investment / host government agreements, permitting, insurance, tax, financing and any other activities required for such proposals.
- Compilation of the required information and documentation to assist in bid / proposal preparation while ensuring it meets the request for proposal requirements.
- Coordinate and support in developing the technical and financial bids based on the documentation, inputs and feedback received from various stakeholders, to ensure alignment with the requirements while adhering to quality standards
Negotiation and Closing of Projects
In respect of the allocated projects:
- Upon preferred bidder / project award, or after an agreement in principle in the case of direct negotiations, lead negotiations of all the project agreements (major and minor).
- Working, together with the team, on all other project related matters including but not limited to permits and authorisations, land issues, environmental, corporate and social responsibility, compliance, regulatory,…
- Performing all other activities required to bring the project to financial close and to start of construction.
- Upon financial close / start of construction, handover of the project, including all project documentation, to the Portfolio Management BU team for implementation of the project.
- Provide support to the Portfolio Management BU team so as to enable a smooth handover and implementation of the project.
Relationship Management for Projects under Development
- In respect of the allocated projects:
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with government agencies, partners, potential partners, EPC contractors, equipment suppliers, O & M company, consultants and other service providers and others as required, to ensure all parties are kept informed.
- While the position does not include the responsibility for (i) financial modelling and (ii) financing of the project, the position shall provide all required support to the Project Finance team in respect of the financial modelling and the financing of the project up to financial close.
Reporting and Committees
- Reporting transparently, orally and in writing, on a regular and on an ad hoc basis, to the line manager in respect of the activities of the allocated projects.
- Attend and actively participate to committees and other workshops that may be organised within the BD Southern Africa team, the BD Africa & CIS team or otherwise within the company.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Engineering, Finance, Economics, or related field or else related or relevant experience.
- [5-8] years experience in the area of Project / Business Development in the power sector including experience in project structuring, PPA review and negotiations, EPC review and negotiations, stakeholder building and maintenance.
- A pro-active achiever with high energy levels, who is used to working under pressure and to tight/challenging deadlines
- Good understanding of the business value chain in the company’s core business
- Thorough attention to detail
- Good negotiation skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to smoothly coordinate and communicate with authorities, off-takers, partners, technology provider, EPC Contractor, service providers
- Ability and willingness to learn and develop
- Understanding of technical, legal and project finance matters
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org