HSE Manager – Cameroon
Our Client develops, builds and operates renewable energy projects in emerging markets.
The candidate will provide support to the Environmental & Social Manager. He/she will be based in Cameroon to provide support to the Cameroon projects but expected to travel to other mainly French speaking countries i.e. Madagascar, Gabon, Guinea, Cote d’Ivoire etc.
The HSSE Manager will be responsible for overseeing the environmental, social, health and safety performance of the organisation. The HSSE Manager will examine corporate activities to establish where improvements can be made and ensure compliance with environmental legislation and international standards across the organisation.
Experience and Qualifications
- A degree in an environmental science, engineering or equivalent qualifications.
- 8-10 years working in power generation (renewables, coal, gas) as an HSSE Manager with varied West Africa experience. (West African experience – Cameroon, Gabon, Guinea, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Benin, Senegal)
- Experience of implementing the Equator Principles and the environmental, social, health and safety standards of international finance institutions such as the World Bank, International Finance Corporation Performance Standards, African Development Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development etc. on major projects, and an understanding of such documents is preferable.
- Strong occupational health and safety experience with good knowledge energy sector H&S risks is essential
- Has knowledge of Cameroon’s Environmental, Social and Labour legislative or at least West Africa as a whole.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and electronic communication skills
- Fluency in both English and French is a key requirement.
- Must have strong planning and organizational skills as well as the ability to lead and promote teamwork
- Be responsible for all the project’s HSSE matters relating to occupational and community health and safety (H&S), waste management and recycling, pollution prevention control and resource efficiency;
- Ensure timely communication with construction management and operations teams, contractors, third-party consultants and all stakeholders including project lenders, governmental agencies and local communities relating to HSSE and permit implementation.
- Ensure all Contractors environmental and safety documents, project layout and designs are reviewed and ensure they are at a national and international acceptable standard.
- Carry out important staff training and ensure all members of the workforce (including contractor workforce) recognise and understand their own contributions to improved environmental performance.
- Ensure organization comply with and seek the relevant environmental authorisations or permits.
- Ensures that audits and recordkeeping are performed at required frequencies, and that environmental monitoring and pollution prevention and control parameters are in accordance with permits, plans, government regulations, or company requirements.
- Prepare, compile and present project’s environmental and social progress on a monthly and annual basis or as required.
- Develop polices, programs and associated communication documentation.
- Work closely with and manage the Community Relations Representative(s) and activities. This will require overseeing the development of the company’s CSR Plan. Interface with the project team to discuss ongoing Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) obligations to ensure smooth activity implementation.
- Implement and oversee formal grievance mechanism. Undertake complaint documentation, investigation, evaluation and identification of corrective measures.
- Negotiate environmental service agreements, track budget and cost control in relation to ESH&S activities.
- Establish an Environmental and Social Management System and Human Resources Policy in line with the International Labour Organization (ILO) core labour standards, reviewing on at least an annual basis.
Additional info: Our client is looking for someone that had worked in MULTIPLE West African countries as mentioned, so you NEED that kind of exposure. This role is working with many different cultures, people and different ways of doing things. So patience, understanding and a calm diplomatic type nature is required. There is a heavy environmental and social aspect to this role.
If you don’t hear back from us within 14 days please understand that your application was unsuccessful.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org