Environmental, Social, Health & Safety Manager
Our Client is an investment manager with dedicated private equity funds focused on renewable energy investments in Asia and Africa. The funds are active in more than 8 markets in Asia and Africa, with a project portfolio that includes hydro, solar, wind, geothermal and biomass assets. They are a hands-on investor and takes an active role in the development, construction and operations of its investments. The Fund currently has investments in Uganda, Ethiopia, Madagascar and Cameroon and is actively seeking to expand its footprint into other countries.
We’re looking to hire an Environmental, Social, Health and Safety Manager (ESH&S) to be based in Cameroon or Kenya to provide support to the Africa E&S Manager. The successful candidate will provide support mainly to the projects located in Francophone countries.
Requirements (NON NEGOTIABLE):
- Master’s degree graduate preferably in Environmental Science, Engineering or any similar equivalent
- Minimum five (7) years of demonstrable experience implementing International Environmental and Social (E&S) Standards, including IFC Performance Standards, in infrastructure projects in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Strong ESG experience
- Good training and communication
- Ability to speak French and English fluently.
- Has good knowledge in Cameroon’s Environmental, Social and Labour legislative
The ESH&S Manager will be responsible for overseeing the environmental, social, health and safety performance of the organization. The candidate will examine corporate activities to establish where improvements can be made and ensure compliance with environmental legislation and international standards across the organization.
Reporting to the Fund E&S Manager, the Manager will:
- Ensure effective implementation of the Fund’s E&S policies and standards
- Be responsible for all the project’s E&S matters relating to occupational and community health and safety (H&S), human resource requirements, waste management and recycling, pollution prevention control and resource efficiency
- Develop the appropriate strategies to address the E&S risks and their potential impacts
- Monitor and report on sustainability/E&S performance and progress against the sustainability strategy to both internal and external stakeholders
- Maintain an Environmental and Social Management System and Human Resources Policy for all investments and monitor compliance
- Ensure timely communication with construction management and operations teams, contractors, third-party consultants and all stakeholders including project lenders, governmental agencies and local communities relating to E&S and permit compliance
- Ensure all Contractors environmental and safety documents, project layout and designs are reviewed and ensure they are at a national and international acceptable standards
- Carry out important staff training and ensure all members of the workforce (including contractor workforce) recognize and understand their own contributions to improved E&S performance.
- Ensures that audits and record keeping are performed at required frequencies, and that environmental monitoring and pollution prevention and control parameters are in accordance with permits, plans, government regulations, or company requirements
- Prepare, compile and present project’s environmental and social progress on a monthly and annual basis or as required
- Develop E&S policies, programs and associated communication documentation, as
- Work closely with project teams to manage the community relations and activities for all investments
- Implement and oversee formal grievance mechanism. Undertake complaint documentation, investigation, evaluation, and identification of corrective measures
- Negotiate environmental service agreements, track budget and cost control in relation to E&S
- Knowledge and experience in global environmental standards and frameworks of international finance institutions such as the World Bank, International Finance Corporation Performance Standards, African Development Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on major projects, and an understanding of such documents is required.
- Experience with E&S and sustainability
- Experience implementing Occupational Health and Safety programs, managing emergency response incidents, implemented corrective actions, conducting or leading training in applicable health and safety areas will be an added advantage
- Must have excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and electronic communication
- Must have strong planning and organizational skills as well as the ability to lead and promote teamwork
- Flexibility and willingness to travel to project sites across Africa at regular internals.
- Willingness to step outside of comfort zone, challenge the norm and add value across the
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com