Civil Construction Manager (WIND)
Client is a locally based fully integrated independent power producer that develops, finances, builds, owns and operates commercial renewable energy generation facilities in Sub-Saharan Africa. This role is based in the Eastern Cape close to Uitenhage.
This role is BEE as per government regulations and requirements.
The Civil Construction Manager will report to the Site Construction Manager.
The Site Construction Manager will be managing the EPC Co construction team, the BOP Contractor (electrical and civil), BESS contractor, Environmental Site Officer, and liaise with the Engineering Service Provider on design related matters and on company related matters.
- Tertiary qualification in an Engineering or Construction field (BSc, BTech or equivalent as a minimum),
- Minimum 10 years work experience as civil engineer or civil construction manager, with at least 4 years’ experience on renewable projects,
- Exposure and knowledge of hybrid project execution and battery storage will be an added advantage,
- Proactive, with high level of entrepreneurship, energy level and motivation,
- Level-headed leadership,
- Good team worker with sense of the common good,
- Detail orientated– able to follow up on details, monitor and report on progress,
- Good communication skills – reliable and trustworthy,
- High social and intercultural competence,
- Speaks and writes English fluently. Good knowledge of another language is an advantage,
- Strong negotiating ability with workforce and community,
- Analytical thinking with focus on customer and goal achievement,
- An excellent knowledge of MS Office,
- Above average English report writing skill, with good spelling and grammar acumen,
- Willingness to be site-based, in Uitenhage, Eastern Cape for the full duration of the project,
- General technical acumen,
- In possession of a valid driver’s license,
- Medically fit.
Duties / KPA’s:
The Civil Construction Manager for the Project will be responsible for the successful construction of the site infrastructure, earthworks and civil works on the project. The Civil Construction Manager will be part of the EPC Co Site team. This Civil Construction Manager will be responsible for:
- Health & Safety
- As an active team member, provide support to the HSE Officers to enforce the HSE Plan on site.
- Act as OHS Act 8.2 in the absence of the 8.1 appointee.
- Guide and support the contractors to ensure compliance with the project EMPr’s
- Civil Construction Management
- Manages site discipline in accordance with the project civil construction scope of work,
- Management of Balance of Plant Contractor,
- Interfacing and coordination with Turbine Supply, BESS and Thermal Contractors, Environmental Consultants, Engineering Services Provider, Eskom and the VPP.
- Contractor management on civil works
- Ensure BOP contractors comply with its construction contracts and adhere to their respective project schedule milestone dates,
- Attend weekly meeting with contractors on site and provide inputs to MoM for accuracy,
- Collect daily diaries from contractors
- Document management
- Review Contractor Method Statements
- Review and verify DSTI’s
- Verify that documents are issued as AFC
- Ensure As-built drawings are produced on completion of a section of the scope
- Ensure all civil documents and drawings are properly logged in the Project Electronic Document Management System (EDMS)
- Assist the Document Controller site-generated project documentation.
- Support Commercial team and Quantity Surveyor with progress measurements,
- Review Contractor documentation for completeness and accuracy as part of their progress payment applications,
- Assist PM and Commercial team with supporting document compilation for EPC Co milestone payment claims.
- Proactive interaction with internal and external stakeholders during the construction of all Civil Works,
- Effectively communicate company values and objectives on site.
- Fulfil construction reporting obligations – (weekly & monthly),
- Support internal team with reporting and preparation of external reporting to the Client.
- Support the Quality Manager during the quality process.
- Support Quality person with documentation, NCR’s and other quality matters.
- Design and Engineering Support
- Ensure all designs are correctly implemented,
- Support Engineering team in design phase,
- Assist in Technical Acceptance procedures.
- Eskom Self-Build Works
- Attend monthly Eskom meeting for Self-Build Works coordination and progress.
- Be knowledgeable about construction schedules, organize and supervise work at construction sites
- Ensure Project Schedule is adhered to, and project milestone dates are met, especially cardinal milestones,
- Ensure all contractors adhere to their respective project schedule milestone dates,
- Overseeing key civil milestones for handover to other contractors like the Turbine, BESS and Thermal Contractors.
- Support the project team with Cold and Hot Commissioning, Grid Connection, Grid Code Testing, and COD.
- Interfacing with stakeholders
- Support the ED manager with interactions with the local communities as needed,
- Liaison with the landowner(s) and local authorities on issues related to the site,
- Hosting 3rd party site visits / audit facilitation.
This role is planned to start 1 November 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com